Typesetting for Anté & Yatsch

 

Type on the press.

ay6

Printed page.

ay7

Unfortunately missing certain letters (Luxembourg case) I can’t print the page in one go and have to print the missing part in a second run. So I have to fill up with furniture till I reach the end of the text which is already printed, being careful to start at the correct line.

To reach the right line I decided to measure with spaces rather then with a ruler. A 20 point + a 2 point space make up for one line of text plus it’s 2 point lead.

ay2

Some more lines to print for this page.

ay8

 

 

Season’s Greetings 2017

 

DSCF1622-gw-1-768x550

 

This years greetings are somehow different from the other years: smaller in size, printed on my Adana 5×8.

DSCF1614-w

Have a look at this lovely lady from Japan operating the press (no the same model, but same principle of operation).

The chase for the woodengraving:

DSCF1617-gw-1-768x521

 

 

 

na2017-i-gw-768x510

2 trees (old and new joining)

For 2017 we wish you 365 days of Happiness and Health.

DSCF1619-gw-768x498

an2017-t-gw-1-624x338
The font used is Trajanus designed by Chappall (see also Trajan) .

 

 

Inspired by Peter Freeth

cuba-g-w

 

The result first!

The original photo:

cuba-photo-w

 

Inspired by an article on Peter Freeth in Anthony Dyson, Printmaker’ Secrets, A&C Black Publishers, London, 2009 (an excerpt from the book over here) I got the idea to start not with a monotype as does Peter Freeth, but to do a litho  first, transfer this to the intaglio plate and from there on follow Peter Freeth.

First step transform the colour photograph to a monochrome picture. This picture was laser printed directly on a polyester litho plate. As the edition would be only one print, I tried first to do a paper lithograph, but without any success (crumbling, crumbling and more crumbling), so I changed to polyester plate. But instead of printing it on paper I printed on the zinc plate chosen for the intaglio. The ink still wet the plate was powdered with rosin in a first step, superfluous rosin removed by gentle tapping the back of the plate and than recovered  by an “even” (as far as it is possible for a hand shaken aquatint) layer of rosin in order to step from a negative print with open bytes to a positive without open byte. Followed by an etching in nitric acid (10%) for 5 minutes. The ink used for printing was 1/2 Charbonnel black 55981 1/2 Chabonnel black RSR and the paper Lanaquarelle Watercolor HP 300g/m2.

A first try with many flaws . To be continued. Lot of experimentation possible.

Summery of the steps:

 

cuba-photo-w
original
cuba-mono-inverted-w
monochrome
cuba-litho-w
litho plate (flipped)
cuba-g-w
etching

Final.

Wanting to stick to my usual theme for my cards, I decided to start from a photo I took some years ago (still film photography and darkroom labour). As time was running short the matrix had to be a photopolymer plate.

P1010984-w
Photo (bw)
cn-2016-exterior-w
Print (10 cm x12.5 cm)

Waiting to dry.

20151222_171012a-w

 

For the inside I choose as font Walbaum kursiv 20Pt.

cn-2016-inside-w